Pages - Menu

Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Gyoza Experience: Osaka Ohsho


I started being a fan of Japanese food because of my Japanese students. Whenever they tell me during our lessons about what they have eaten, I would always feel frustrated and excited. Frustrated since I cannot eat Japanese food everyday like they do and excited because I can go out at least once a month (during payday).

Last Sunday (09/07), I decided to treat myself to a good dinner. I was with friends and we were at SM Megamall. The restaurants were packed since it was dinner time. We went round and round the mall until we found Osaka Ohsho. Luckily, there was still a table available. The only table left unoccupied. Thank God!



One of their staff was kind enough to lead us to our table. He immediately handed their menu and was very polite and friendly while he was taking our orders. It took us a while to choose what to eat. We were very exhausted because of the almost unending search for the "perfect" restaurant to dine in. Good heavens we found Osaka Ohsho.

Osaka Ohsho Menu


Here are their sauces. The one on the left is spicy sauce. The middle is their original sauce and on the right is miso flavor sauce. I decided to mix the original and spicy sauce for my gyoza because I don't like miso flavor that much. I also used the mix for my tempura. You can mix all of them if you like or ditch the spicy sauce if you're not like me who loves it extra hot. (winks)

Mango Yakult at Php138
I was with my partner-in-crime, my housemate, and she decided to have the Mango Yogurt for her drink. I tasted it and it was deli. Expect the usual mango shake taste with a little hint of yogurt. Honestly, I didn't get the yogurt taste at first but if you are very familiar with it, you'll notice it.

Strawberry Passion fruit Fizz at Php125

I chose the Strawberry Passion Fruit Fizz for a change. I usually order mango shake when eating out so I decided to give this a try. Its taste is a little... strange. Well, at least for me. It's a hodgepodge of flavors. There's strawberry, passion fruit, soda and there was also a cherry on top of this drink. I was not able to finish this not because of its taste but it's gigantic! Next time I'll share it with a friend. haha

Original flavor Gyoza at Php350

This is their famous Gyoza. According to my students, Gyoza originated from China. So, if you haven't tasted Gyoza and ate siomai before, they're not so different. Their major difference is the shape. Also Gyoza's taste is lighter (a little bland) than siomai.

Sukiyaki Ala Carte at Php380

Here's my all time favourite, Sukiyaki! The quality of the beef was really good. I remember choosing the beef slices and putting them into my bowl. I don't know if my friends noticed it but I was not able to eat a lot of this since I started to attack Gyoza. Nevertheless, this was a good one.

Tempura Moriawase at Php450

Another fave is tempura. We ordered the Assorted Tempura. I was a bit disappointed because it's too expensive and yet too little. It includes three pieces of ebi tempura, 3 or 4 pieces of breaded mushroom and some kind of fillet. I'd probably never order this again if I go back there. The taste was a little bland compared to other tempuras I've tasted.

Original Chahan at Php240
This original Chinese fried rice was really good! At first I didn't like to eat rice since I'm on a diet but this is too good to ignore. I ended up eating a cup of it and just didn't mind the tightening of my pants. (hahaha)

Th experience was incredible. If I would rate the food, it would be 4.5/5. The service was amazing. With the friendly and accommodating staff, what could go wrong? I'd give them 5/5 for that. Also, they have a 10% service charge. The price of the food was more expensive than other restaurants but given the food and service they offer, it's worth it . So if you're planning to eat here, just expect the food to be pricey. Prepare your palate and at the same time your wallet. ^_~





Osaka Ohsho
Location: SM Megamall 3rd Floor Fashion Hall 
Estimated budget per person: Php600.00

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Nami-san. Gyoza at Ohsho in Philipine. I'm a fan of Gyoza. Many of my working colleagues in foreign countries are also fan of it. The taste seems universal. I think its general name is "dumpling" as my American friend calls but Gyoza seems to be different from Chinese dumpling. I heard that it is not baked but boiled one. I wanna find Siomai somewhere in Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yoshi-san! Thanks for dropping by. Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with a lot of things. I'm not (yet) very familiar with Japanese cuisine so I promised myself to try different dishes once I get the chance (and money hahaha). See ya!

      Delete