Pages - Menu

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Welcome to the Island of Fire, Siquijor!


I visited Siquijor on October 2012 (if I remember it right). It was a field trip and we were tasked to investigate about local myths. We had to ask some locals what they knew about mythical creatures in that place. Of course, we did not just go there to do some interviews but also to enjoy. We enjoyed going around the place and we got to stay there overnight.



Boat to Siquijor
This picture was taken inside the boat we rode on our way to Siquijor. I was really horrified by the fact that the seawater was banging the window of the boat. The boat was swaying crazily and to think I was by the window was just simply terrifying. Luckily we arrived safely.

St. Francis of Asisi in Siquijor
Upon arriving at Siquijor, you will see this very old Church. We arrived there at noon so it was pretty hot and nobody was around the area. We took some pictures and went to our next destination.



Overlooking Siquijor
I so love nature! When I saw Siquijor, I already knew that I was going to fall in love with it. We rented a multicab so that we could go around the place. We went to Mt. Bandila-an Nature Park and it was a paradise. I love trees and cold places so it was a perfect place for me. Just a reminder, you need to have strong knees to climb the steps. 


These are on top of a mountain.


400-year old Balete tree in Siquijor
There are fish in that small pond under the Balete tree. It is believed that nobody can catch a single fish in that pond even how hard you try. The people in the place also believe that they are the ones who guard the tree.

St. Isidore Convent, Siquijor

This convent is known as the biggest in Asia. Augustinian Recollects began constructing it in 1857 and was completed by Filipino artisans in the year of 1884. Both Lazi Church and the convent were declared as National Historical Shrines in 1970s.


Simbahan ng Lazi, Siquijor

Simbahan ng Lazi

Simbahan ng Lazi

Salagdoong Beach Resort Siquijor

We stayed at Salagdoong Beach Resort. The place was serene and a little scary because we were the only guests that night. We could hear the crickets and god knows what other creatures out in the forest. It is quite far from the port so make sure to leave early upon departure.

Souvenir shop in Siquijor

Of course we did not forget to buy some souvenirs. I bought personalized pencils for my siblings, local delicacies for my mother and friends and I bought a shirt for me. There are not so many stores in Siquijor but I remember we stopped at a certain store which sells love potion. A classmate of mine bought one but I don't know if it worked. 

I can't quite remember the places in Siquijor but it was a hell of an experience. On our way to the port, we saw women dressed in white in the woods. They were carrying torches and it was like a procession. It was very creepy I couldn't look at them for a long time. 

Overall, it was a great trip. I was able to enjoy Siquijor and its trees, mountains and scary stories. If I have a chance to go back, I'd definitely go there again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment